Domination Mode - Changes

Go down

Domination Mode - Changes Empty Domination Mode - Changes

Post  Nickel510 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:33 am

I was thinking of possibly changing the wordage for Domination mode. Rather then slaves, maybe vassals? Instead of masters, kings?

It just seems like sometimes people take a little offense to being called someones slave, and maybe thats why so many people refuse to help their 'master'. But I wanted to get your guys' input on this before I did anything. Maybe there's even some better terms out there other than vassal and kings?

Got any ideas, please let me know! Thanks.

Nickel510

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Domination Mode - Changes Empty Re: Domination Mode - Changes

Post  VasQuezTheGreat on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

I love the aspect of bossing people around and being a slave master but you have a great point nickel. In the interest of better team play it would be a good idea to call them something elses. Kings and Vassals is a good idea.

On another game play note. I want to address the % of map needed to end the game. We should try to make it work in dom. Even if it means making it so as long as one person has the map (at end slaves give land to master or otherway around) the game ends.

Right now its at 85% in regular. I strongly believe it needs to be at 75%. In devo risk you only need around 3/4 of the map to win and the incomes are much smaller. By lowering the % to win in full map you add the element of players having to be vigilant about other players incomes. This would also prevent players from turtling or mass peacing with the notion that players would be forced to take action to keep the game going. This would also end the migraine of playing out games to the very end! Creating a clear distinction of what can be done to win is important.

75% for the player to win FTW. Nothrend is at 95% but i think thats fine because its so small.

VasQuezTheGreat
Clan Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nickel510 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:12 am

Yeah I agree Vas, and I'm trying to reduce the win amount to 75% like we talked about, its just that the triggers have got me stumped atm. I'm going to email Priwin about how to change the win % and about the bug in any ally mode where no one can win. Hopefully he'll have the time to and desire to help, otherwise we might just have to live with it, unless I can figure it out or get someones help who can.

Nickel510

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  echoesinthedark on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:59 am

But, but, but this means we can't call people jews anymore?!?

Where there's a will, there's a lure. -VasquezTheGreat - WOW RISK!@! - Tuesday 12th October 2010

EchoesInTheDark @ east/west/europe
echoesinthedark
echoesinthedark
Admin

View user profile http://bhor.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  VasQuezTheGreat on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 pm

You can always do that echoes! remember how that term refered to small people who had nothing living off other people's land. You don't have to be a slave for this. :O u do it all the time!

VasQuezTheGreat
Clan Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NavySeal on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:32 am

Kings and Vassals seems a bit to... politically correct. People take that too far >.>. But anyways it also resembles something of a choice. In the Middle Ages, Vassals chose to become under the King by choice, not by being conquered. Seems that would make Domination be like how some people just auto-slave at the start (Like form an alliance before the game starts). Why not call them Jarl and Housecarl. Anyone who has played Skyrim would know these terms, but they were actually used by the Scandinavians originally (where they got it obviously) and a Jarl was pretty much a King, just one step below, and a housecarl was just a servant or footsoldier. Seeing as how this would fit in better, it seems like a good change. But then again, what you had would be more widely understandable, and people might just see Jarl and housecarl and go SKYRIM! THEY TOOK IT FROM SKYRIM! If they have no life. Like me Very Happy I mean who else has time to look up this stuff? :/ Just a suggestion. You know I have many of those Very Happy

P.S.- What might fit in even better would be to call the people serfs, which were peasants who agreed to help and serve their Lord of the Manor in exchange for protection and the right to use their land among other things. Although it was a mutual agreement ( I think ) it would be a bit more fitting with the medieval feeling of warcraft and wow risk.

Last edited by NavySeal on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:42 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : New idea :D)
NavySeal
NavySeal

View user profile http://BHoR.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nickel510 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 am

First off, thanks for the feedback Navy Smile, I may not always agree but I always appreciate it.

Now you say politically correct and I don't see what you mean by that, but I get what you're saying about people might get too into the whole idea of Vassals and Kings like RP wise and just ally someone by giving away their capital, where as with Slaves and Masters they tend to resist it pretty heavily because no one wants to be a dang slave. But at the sametime I don't want people just feeling like its cool to hand themselves over and become someones 'vassa' though even a vassal doesn't sound as cool as 'King' Smile.

Now I may be misunderstanding you but the whole Jarl thing from the Scandanavians sounds just like vassals to me. Is Jarls a forced thing or what because otherwise I don't see a big difference. Also, like you said, Jarls and (I forget the other one) is not as widely known as Kings and Vassals, and I really don't think it would sound as good to a lot of people. I know a little about the relationship between lords and vassals, at least enough to know that its a mutual agreement done for the benefit of both groups, but as far as I know, the same goes for surfs and lords except surfs are just peasants that work the land. So really, I don't see why surfs and lords would be any better either because instead of a knight agreeing to serve under a lord like it is with vassals it would just be a farmer agreeing to serve under a lord. Seems like you'd have more fun being called a vassal then a surf, and make a little more sense because surfs were not soldiers.

Just my thoughts, could be wrong Smile. Thanks again for the feedback navy. Keep it comin'.

Nickel510

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NavySeal on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:22 am

First thing I must point out- Vassals were not knights or anything, they were other lords that swore fealty to a King, pledging their men and lands to the king. Knights is a much different situation. And with serfs you don't have a choice at all really, considering back then it was damned near impossible to change your station in life, so they were stuck there with either nothing or serving the guy. Much like the situation in Domination Very Happy But about Housecarls and the like, they are soldiers who serve a lord. While I'm not sure entirely about this, I'm pretty sure changing your station in that area was just about as hard as feudal europe. May have to look up on that. Doubt I will. Now you're probably wondering, well basically he made all three made the same. Serfs had no choice and were called upon to do work everyday. Housecarls were called upon to act in the wars, to be the actual fighters, or to serve as the bodyguards of the Jarls. The Vassals really didn't do much for those that they served, other than sending the occasional footmen to serve the lord. I think xD Haven't learned that stuff in awhile. But anyways just seems those would fit better in the overall theme of domination. You're someone's bitch. Personally I think slave fits best because that's what you are. But ofc there's always one more answer... Just change slave to jew Very Happy
NavySeal
NavySeal

Back to top Go down

Post  Nickel510 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:51 am

lol! Jew Smile not ganna happen. But actually I did read up on Vassals (a little) before I made this thread, and its more like Lords have Vassals, and Vassals are not necessarily lords. The thing I read (just made by some history teacher, is what he claimed) is that vassals could also have vassals etc so they could be like lords, but at the same time could also easily be soldiers that had to fight for their lord, due to a contract they made with the lord. In return the vassal got land, so really that kind of is like domination. You get land from the lord, and in return you fight for him. Of course the real thing was not that simple, but its just risk.

I'm not set on lords and vassals obviously, thats why I made this thread, but I don't think Housecarls or surfs is a better alternative. Thanks for the input though Navy.

Nickel510

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NavySeal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:17 am

I find it (kind of) sad that there's been this much comment on this. Anyways I only said what I knew about vassals. A couple years old and some forgotten. Anyways when I looked it up on wikipedia (no life Smile ) It shows that vassals actually work under barons so to be completely accurate it would be better to place it as Kings and Barons or Barons and Vassals. Or, since I doubt many people truly care (I mean seriously, who spends so much time thinking on this? [besides us, ofc]) you could do Kings and Vassals.
NavySeal
NavySeal

Back to top Go down

Post  Nickel510 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:21 am

lol IDK if it's sad, but I guess its more thought out then it should be.

I'm thinking if a person has one slave, or vassal, then their name is changed to Lord (name). And if they get two vassals their name is changed to King (name).

I still would like something better than vassal, but so far to me it sounds the best.

Nickel510

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NavySeal on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:17 am

I got it! Called the slaves bitches or ho's and the master Pimps!
NavySeal
NavySeal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down